Saturday, July 13, 2013

Travel Tip #20: _______ Happens! DONT GIVE UP!








Two days into my last trip to Chicago I felt I was failing..... 

No matter where you go or what you do there is always a chance that your well laid plans are going to fail you, your goals may not be reached, or perhaps the road will take you in a direction that you never imagined you would travel in. However if you are looking for excitement it is spontaneity that allows for adventure - and it is the probability of failure that leads us to change things up in favor of a new direction! Unfortunately however, keeping a positive attitude about your travels is only possible when you recognize these factors.

This week while traveling in the Chicago area I had high hopes of being able to accomplish some classic must do Chicago style events like museums and Pizza. Despite my desires my plans were stifled by weather, rescheduled meetings, rental car issues and perhaps the worst traffic I have ever seen - ( If you thought LA was bad - Chicago is worse!). It was difficult for me to accomplish even just a couple of the things I wanted to do. In fact - I almost didn't make it onto my plane on time, I found that it literally took me three hours to travel 21 miles. I made it to my flight with less than a minute to spare.

On the second day of my trip I found my travels taking me further and further away from the things I wanted to see and the places I had studied about, I was disappointed that I would not get to see what I had planned on. However while sitting down to lunch in a truly unique BBQ restaurant called Salz's, and after having a very friendly conversation with some of the patrons I realized that my bad attitude was inhibiting me from having a meaningful adventure.

Regardless of the difficulties I had working my own agenda, I knew that the road in-front of me was unknown. From that moment forward I was resolute on enjoying my trip no matter which direction I traveled. I still had an adventure, I still saw great new things. My travels ended up taking me to Milwaukee, Green Bay and Stevens point Wisconsin where I found a hidden Speak Easy, 100 year old taverns, exceptional Reuben sandwiches and more cheese than one man could ever hope to eat. Perhaps the most monumental event of the trip was coming upon the mecca of my obsession by complete happenstance. I will devote an entire blog post to this subject tomorrow so please stay tuned.

The moral of today's travel tip is simple --- DON'T GIVE UP!


To be continued tomorrow..........




Saz's is a famous restaurant built inside the old train station in Milwaukee, the staff and patrons were amongst the most friendly people I have ever met in my life.


Best Reuben in all the country


Awesome motorcycles at  the Harley Museum


A hidden speakeasy reminiscent of prohibition days.

No comments:

Post a Comment