Sunday, June 9, 2013

Travel tip #13: You can never have enough clean socks!

One of the best movies of the last 20 years, Forrest Gump taught us many lessons. But the lesson that most applies to travel in my own opinion was that taught by lieutenant Dan!

Always wear clean socks

There are several reasons why travel can wear you down and make you feel less than fresh. But it is true, new socks can help you feel like a million bucks. ( my wife informs me that fresh underwear do the same trick.)

If I could have one selfish concession in life.... One aristocratic whim that a fairy godmother might grant me, it would be a new pair of socks for every day of my life.

The numbers aren't as staggering as you might think.

If I purchased the socks in bulk, it would cost about a buck a sock.

So 365 x 2 socks per day is $730 a year, I spend at least that much each year on movie tickets, French fries and even texting. So why not? Aren't my feet worth it. Your feet have to carry you your whole life. In fact, after my grandfather died I found out he thought his feet were so important that he would get secret pedicures done once a month. I might not be at his level, but I know how good it feels to get fresh socks!

Smokers spend up to 15 dollars a day on cigarets and that's nearly $5500.

Perhaps once I've worn them once and washed them I could donate them to a charity willing to take once used socks and then write the cost off on my taxes.

Lets say I live another 40 years, I might spend an average Americans yearly wages on foot wear. But it would be soooo worth it.

Anyhow that's my travel tip for today!

Happy Trails

- Matt



No comments:

Post a Comment